One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vacuole in some protozoans which expels excess liquid on contraction.
- ‘The amount of contractile vacuoles can tailor in accordance with suctorian species, age and size.’
- ‘Notice the collapsing contractile vacuole in the lower middle of the frame.’
- ‘The purpose of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water from the cell, preventing the cell from swelling up.’
- ‘The cytoplasm contains, in addition to digestive vacuoles, contractile vacuoles which probably function in the control of osmotic pressures.’
- ‘A green fluorescent protein fusion of drainin localizes specifically to the contractile vacuole and rescues its periodic discharge in drainin-null cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.