Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vacuole in some protozoans which expels excess liquid on contraction.
- ‘The purpose of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water from the cell, preventing the cell from swelling up.’
- ‘The amount of contractile vacuoles can tailor in accordance with suctorian species, age and size.’
- ‘Notice the collapsing contractile vacuole in the lower middle of the frame.’
- ‘A green fluorescent protein fusion of drainin localizes specifically to the contractile vacuole and rescues its periodic discharge in drainin-null cells.’
- ‘The cytoplasm contains, in addition to digestive vacuoles, contractile vacuoles which probably function in the control of osmotic pressures.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.