One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vacuole in some protozoans which expels excess liquid on contraction.
- ‘The cytoplasm contains, in addition to digestive vacuoles, contractile vacuoles which probably function in the control of osmotic pressures.’
- ‘Notice the collapsing contractile vacuole in the lower middle of the frame.’
- ‘A green fluorescent protein fusion of drainin localizes specifically to the contractile vacuole and rescues its periodic discharge in drainin-null cells.’
- ‘The amount of contractile vacuoles can tailor in accordance with suctorian species, age and size.’
- ‘The purpose of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water from the cell, preventing the cell from swelling up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.