One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rotating in the opposite direction or in opposite directions, especially about the same shaft.
- ‘However, most designs still had two or more contra-rotating blades to solve the torque problem and this caused highly complex and unsound craft.’
- ‘With its wings folded and contra-rotating propellers missing, the former fighter was neatly parked between two of the unit's wooden huts.’
- ‘The twin rotor mechanism seems very accurate for scale and is contra-rotating, an unexpected bonus on a model.’
- ‘Another benefit was that the contra-rotating propellers eliminated torque.’
- ‘The valves are actuated via drag arms from twin, contra-rotating camshafts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.