Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rotating in the opposite direction or in opposite directions, especially about the same shaft.
- ‘With its wings folded and contra-rotating propellers missing, the former fighter was neatly parked between two of the unit's wooden huts.’
- ‘However, most designs still had two or more contra-rotating blades to solve the torque problem and this caused highly complex and unsound craft.’
- ‘The valves are actuated via drag arms from twin, contra-rotating camshafts.’
- ‘Another benefit was that the contra-rotating propellers eliminated torque.’
- ‘The twin rotor mechanism seems very accurate for scale and is contra-rotating, an unexpected bonus on a model.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.