Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the mainly small feathers which form the outline of an adult bird's plumage.
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘They often share a follicle with a contour feather.’
- ‘The insulation theory is based on the conclusion that primitive feathers were a type of contour feather.’
- ‘A set of avian feathers have even been found, including a superb fragment of a contour feather.’
- ‘A contour feather from the tail, as well as a small piece of skin from the abdomen, were removed from the specimen.’
- ‘The lining of breeding nests sometimes included small contour feathers of unidentified bird species.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.