One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the mainly small feathers which form the outline of an adult bird's plumage.
plume, quillView synonyms
- ‘A set of avian feathers have even been found, including a superb fragment of a contour feather.’
- ‘A contour feather from the tail, as well as a small piece of skin from the abdomen, were removed from the specimen.’
- ‘They often share a follicle with a contour feather.’
- ‘The insulation theory is based on the conclusion that primitive feathers were a type of contour feather.’
- ‘The lining of breeding nests sometimes included small contour feathers of unidentified bird species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.