Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fraction of infinite length whose denominator is a quantity plus a fraction, which latter fraction has a similar denominator, and so on.
- ‘In the continued fraction of the square root of an integer the same denominators recur periodically.’
- ‘Catalan published extensively on continued fractions and number theory.’
- ‘He made substantial contributions to the analytical theory of numbers and worked on elliptic functions, continued fractions, and infinite series.’
- ‘He wrote his doctoral thesis on algorithms for continued fractions which he submitted to the University of St Petersburg.’
- ‘However he also worked on differential equations, matrices and other topics in algebra, continued fractions, geometry and number theory.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.