One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or thing that continues something or maintains continuity.‘the popes succeeded as the continuators of Byzantine rule’
- ‘This Germanic people saw themselves as the continuators of the weakened Imperial power.’
- ‘As its name suggests, it stood on a platform which advanced the party as the continuator of old-style Labour reformism.’
- ‘The second sees in him a continuator of speculative theology - that is, a theologian who had to switch languages in order to speak of Greek philosophy.’
- ‘From its very first days as a continuator of the wartime OSS, the ranks of the Agency were dominated by members of the liberal establishment.’
- 1.1 A person who writes a continuation of another's work.‘the narratives of Thucydides or his continuator Xenophon’
- ‘‘In my notions about the State,’ he wrote to his mother in February 1864, ‘I am quite papa's son, and his continuator.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.