One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The gradual movement of the continents across the earth's surface through geological time.
- ‘Quite suddenly, Wegener's theory of continental drift had the mechanism that it had previously lacked.’
- ‘For example, when Wegener proposed his theory of continental drift he could not explain how continents move.’
- ‘When first proposed a generation ago, the theory of continental drift and plate tectonics was one of the most shocking scientific ideas of its day.’
- ‘It is in Africa where critical data exist that spawned the theories of continental drift, the origins of life, and the emergence of humans and their subsequent migrations out of Africa.’
- ‘The theory of continental drift would become the spark that ignited a new way of viewing the Earth.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the entire thesis of continental drift was also thrown out.’
- ‘The Elephant Bird's Tale is a tale of Gondwana, and of continental drift or, as it is now called, plate tectonics.’
- ‘Later theories of continental drift depended on plate tectonics; rates of movement of continents were not an integral part of those theories.’
- ‘Of course, none of these conclusions could have been reached without all these workers rejecting the idea of continental drift.’
- ‘However, at the time that Wegener proposed his theory of continental drift, most scientists still believed the Earth was a solid, motionless body.’
- ‘But of course, the scientists who refused to accept Wegener's continental drift hypothesis in 1912 and up to about 1950 were entirely right to do so.’
- ‘The site clarifies the often fuzzy distinction between the older theory of continental drift and its more recent reincarnation, plate tectonics.’
- ‘No mechanism was known, for example for continental drift when it was proposed by Wegener.’
- ‘By the late 1960s the modern theories of continental drift and plate tectonics had become firmly established in geological thought.’
- ‘Despite the now compelling nature of much of the geological evidence for continental drift, the most unequivocal proof of the movement of continents now surely comes from palaeomagnetism.’
- ‘The groove resembled the rifts between continental blocks that Wegener's theory of continental drift predicted far too closely for comfort.’
- ‘Searching for evidence to further develop his theory of continental drift, Wegener came across a paleontological paper suggesting that a land bridge had once connected Africa with Brazil.’
- ‘Geologists and continental drift theorists have shown that there was once one super continent named Pangea.’
- ‘Forty years ago, hardly any geologists believed in continental drift.’
- ‘According to the theory of continental drift, Africa and South America separated from this super continent first.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.