One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and bread rolls with butter and jam.
- ‘Between this and the continental breakfast they're serving in the hotel, I'm going to be almost set as far as chow goes.’
- ‘Toasts, breads, bagels, continental breakfasts, pates, soups and baguettes presented themselves for our consideration.’
- ‘And we are in luck - they serve a continental breakfast.’
- ‘After they all went through the lines and had loaded their plates with a somewhat continental breakfast, everyone was feasting quickly, grateful for the relief from fast food.’
- ‘Travellers staying in the hotel's executive floor can access the Executive Lounge and get complimentary continental breakfasts, afternoon tea and evening drinks.’
- ‘There's a continental breakfast buffet if you're hungry, as well.’
- ‘No scurvy on this ship: All kinds of fresh fruits and juices, fresh croissants and muffins, and yogurt make a substantial continental breakfast.’
- ‘The popular student program on Wednesday, April 6, will begin with a continental breakfast and networking session at 8: 15 AM.’
- ‘The exhibit floor opens at 8 am - at which time there is a continental breakfast served, until 9 am.’
- ‘We are providing a choice of a cooked breakfast or a continental breakfast and are hoping people will pop in.’
- ‘A continental breakfast and a chilled gourmet dinner are included.’
- ‘This includes a continental breakfast - an Irish breakfast is €3 extra.’
- ‘Traditionally, meals were patterned after Spanish custom: a continental breakfast, a large midday meal, and a modest supper.’
- ‘What's funny is that, although we offer a European continental breakfast, people come in early in the morning and eat steak instead.’
- ‘The Women's Hospital serves a continental breakfast for most new mothers, allows for more flexible breakfast times and provides larger portions of food than on a regular tray.’
- ‘There's a limited room service available via the restaurant next door, and a continental breakfast is also available in-room.’
- ‘A modest continental breakfast is an added option at €6.50, but you might want to put the money towards something more substantial in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘Dad reports back in a few minutes: the manager had argued that our meal had indeed been a full continental breakfast.’
- ‘Registration and a continental breakfast begin at 8 a.m. Friday.’
- ‘We went for our continental breakfast around this time, and had no conversation with our table mates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.