One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light breakfast, typically consisting of coffee and bread rolls with butter and jam.
- ‘A continental breakfast and a chilled gourmet dinner are included.’
- ‘We are providing a choice of a cooked breakfast or a continental breakfast and are hoping people will pop in.’
- ‘After they all went through the lines and had loaded their plates with a somewhat continental breakfast, everyone was feasting quickly, grateful for the relief from fast food.’
- ‘The Women's Hospital serves a continental breakfast for most new mothers, allows for more flexible breakfast times and provides larger portions of food than on a regular tray.’
- ‘Dad reports back in a few minutes: the manager had argued that our meal had indeed been a full continental breakfast.’
- ‘We went for our continental breakfast around this time, and had no conversation with our table mates.’
- ‘No scurvy on this ship: All kinds of fresh fruits and juices, fresh croissants and muffins, and yogurt make a substantial continental breakfast.’
- ‘And we are in luck - they serve a continental breakfast.’
- ‘There's a continental breakfast buffet if you're hungry, as well.’
- ‘The exhibit floor opens at 8 am - at which time there is a continental breakfast served, until 9 am.’
- ‘The popular student program on Wednesday, April 6, will begin with a continental breakfast and networking session at 8: 15 AM.’
- ‘This includes a continental breakfast - an Irish breakfast is €3 extra.’
- ‘A modest continental breakfast is an added option at €6.50, but you might want to put the money towards something more substantial in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘What's funny is that, although we offer a European continental breakfast, people come in early in the morning and eat steak instead.’
- ‘Between this and the continental breakfast they're serving in the hotel, I'm going to be almost set as far as chow goes.’
- ‘Toasts, breads, bagels, continental breakfasts, pates, soups and baguettes presented themselves for our consideration.’
- ‘Traditionally, meals were patterned after Spanish custom: a continental breakfast, a large midday meal, and a modest supper.’
- ‘Travellers staying in the hotel's executive floor can access the Executive Lounge and get complimentary continental breakfasts, afternoon tea and evening drinks.’
- ‘Registration and a continental breakfast begin at 8 a.m. Friday.’
- ‘There's a limited room service available via the restaurant next door, and a continental breakfast is also available in-room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.