One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or group competing with others to achieve something.‘a presidential contender’‘the major contenders in the football championship’
- ‘He kicks a good amount of ass in the film, but he's certainly no Oscar contender.’
- ‘It's definitely a contender for best animated film of the year.’
- ‘One dog was a heavyweight contender with a long, ponderous coat.’
- ‘When they stepped onto the ice, they were no longer just another team—they were a playoff contender.’
- ‘This virtuoso new novel is a real contender for the Women's Prize.’
- ‘He's a contender for an individual medal by virtue of his second- and fourth-place finishes in the classic and free races at the Eastern Canadian Championships.’
- ‘This should indeed be a very serious contender in what is probably the most competitive sector of the digital camera market.’
- ‘Yogurt is a viable contender with chips or cookies or other snack foods.’
- ‘Another probable contender for the nomination is a former Pennsylvania senator.’
- ‘Many contenders for the top positions are apparent in the weighting I have given the 400 best architects.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.