Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Spend time complacently considering oneself or one's interests at the expense of a wider view.‘the Post Office cannot stop the world while the unions contemplate their navels’
- ‘Self-consciousness is not simply a consciousness contemplating its own navel.’
- ‘He came from High Times magazine, where he sat around and played video games and contemplated his navel.’
- ‘Of course, this sort of hindsight is only slightly worse than spending your time contemplating your navel.’
- ‘I dreamt of spending days lounging in the sun and contemplating my navel.’
- ‘The yogi contemplating his navel often figures for Westerners as an object of amusement, being taken as a symptom of indolence or narcissistic self-absorption.’
- ‘This is a famous soup from the Fujian Province, whose aroma was said to be so alluring that a meditating monk would abandon contemplating his navel and jump over the wall to indulge!’
- ‘When I was growing up, my mother used to say, ‘You have to take time to contemplate your navel.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.