One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spend time complacently considering oneself or one's interests at the expense of a wider view.‘the Post Office cannot stop the world while the unions contemplate their navels’
- ‘I dreamt of spending days lounging in the sun and contemplating my navel.’
- ‘Self-consciousness is not simply a consciousness contemplating its own navel.’
- ‘He came from High Times magazine, where he sat around and played video games and contemplated his navel.’
- ‘When I was growing up, my mother used to say, ‘You have to take time to contemplate your navel.’’
- ‘This is a famous soup from the Fujian Province, whose aroma was said to be so alluring that a meditating monk would abandon contemplating his navel and jump over the wall to indulge!’
- ‘The yogi contemplating his navel often figures for Westerners as an object of amusement, being taken as a symptom of indolence or narcissistic self-absorption.’
- ‘Of course, this sort of hindsight is only slightly worse than spending your time contemplating your navel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.