One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A port which specializes in handling goods transported in containers.
- ‘The container port appears slightly downstream from where the conventional port was, but only slightly.’
- ‘He added the council was concerned about ‘the conservation area and this huge container port, which will possibly sit alongside it, and how they will live together.’’
- ‘Following the discovery, a section of the major container port was sealed off as Bomb Squad officers joined Customs teams to examine the vehicle.’
- ‘In that case, containers were stolen from the container port with the connivance of employees of the terminal operator.’
- ‘How is it that the planners and managers had not already implemented the single-user long-term terminal-lease model commonly found in major container ports?’
- ‘Laem Chabang port, which has overtaken Bangkok port to become the largest container port in Thailand, is just 12 km away.’
- ‘The railway will be principally carrying freight from Australia's south to a container port in Darwin in the north.’
- ‘The officials took more than 10 years to accept that theirs would not be a major container port.’
- ‘The Bathside Bay development centres on a new container port at Harwich, adjacent to the existing roll-on-roll-off port, which will have a capacity of 1.7 million containers each year.’
- ‘The port is a container port to offload freight from ships too big to navigate the canal.’
- ‘While the container port announcement came just after the organisation's annual review for 2003-04, it has been the most memorable event for bosses over the past few months.’
- ‘The majority of the city's trade is through its container port.’
- ‘A longtime tourist destination because of its beaches and historic district, Charleston also has a major container port that draws manufacturers and distributors.’
- ‘If that is the case, it will be a serious blow to Southampton's international standing as the second-largest container port in the UK.’
- ‘Victoria also has Australia's only curfew free international airport and Australia's largest container port all linked to each other and the rest of Australia by a world-class transport road and rail network.’
- ‘Hong Kong, which relies on the mainland for 90 per cent of the exports flowing through its container port, is also a major transit centre for foreign foodstuffs destined for China.’
- ‘Docks' police say they have smashed a major cannabis-growing operation in a remote area of the sprawling container port.’
- ‘Felixstowe in Suffolk had become a specialist container port with excellent road links.’
- ‘Singapore is the second busiest container port in the world.’
- ‘A port spokeswoman said the present strike would cause major disruption as it affected both terminals at the biggest container port in the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.