Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant) grown in a container rather than in the ground.‘container-grown roses’
- ‘Roses are available as container-grown or bareroot plants.’
- ‘Plants should be planted in a dormant condition if purchased bare root, but container-grown plants may be planted throughout the growing season.’
- ‘By moving container-grown citrus into a greenhouse, sunroom, or bright indoor location, gardeners anywhere can grow them.’
- ‘Since the roots of container-grown plants are confined and can't go searching for what they need, you need to provide them with the best possible conditions.’
- ‘If the tree was container-grown, be sure to loosen outside roots and prune broken roots.’
- ‘If the tree is container-grown and slightly pot bound (the roots have grown in a tight circle), break some of the dirt apart so the roots spread out.’
- ‘He was able to provide winter protection for the container-grown plant, allowing it to age and become woody.’
- ‘Seeds are easy to start, but because plants do not flower well until the second year, you may want to save time by buying container-grown plants.’
- ‘Set out hardy ground covers and container-grown tees, shrubs, and perennials no later than six weeks before the ground normally freezes in your area.’
- ‘The container-grown plants can be anywhere from 10 inches to 2 to 3 feet in height, depending on the age of the plant.’
- ‘Though sun and shade requirements are similar to those of plants grown in the ground, the typically smaller size of container-grown grasses permits moving them farther into shade without fear of flopping.’
- ‘Of course, container-grown fruit trees produce fewer fruit than full-grown trees, but fresh limes and lemons on a cold winter day in Vermont, for example, can be very refreshing.’
- ‘When setting out container-grown plants, be sure that the soil is moist (not wet) and that you have watered the plant itself.’
- ‘In midsummer, container-grown plants in local nurseries will be in full leaf so you can get a good idea of what the different varieties will look like.’
- ‘This is the time of year for planting bare-rooted roses and, for that matter, container-grown roses.’
- ‘Because they have their full root system, container-grown shrubs can be planted during the growing season.’
- ‘For starters, it helps to have some idea about how many container-grown roses will fit into your gardening plan.’
- ‘Shop nurseries for container-grown stock; plant as soon as you get it home.’
- ‘Still other areas feature permanent plantings, with container-grown plants added for visual impact here and there creating unexpected surprises throughout the garden.’
- ‘And container-grown trees can be planted nationwide in fall.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.