Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of brucellosis which causes spontaneous abortion in cattle.
- ‘Dr. Bang, a Danish veterinarian, isolated a cousin organism causing contagious abortion in cattle in 1897.’
- ‘As part of a national health program dating back to 1934, some calves are vaccinated for brucellosis, sometimes called ‘contagious abortion’ or ‘Bang's disease.’’
- ‘Furthermore, contagious abortion has been found in the elk so that some calves may be lost as a result of this disease.’
- ‘Study discusses the causes and treatments of contagious abortion, when the young is cast out of the womb before it is fully developed and capable of separate existence.’
- ‘The disease is also known as contagious abortion or Bang's disease in livestock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.