One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of photographic paper on to which several or all of the negatives on a film have been contact-printed.
- ‘I spend countless hours going over contact sheets and file folders of photographs, both digital and hard copy.’
- ‘All of my negatives, contact sheets and most prints were stored in cardboard boxes, in my basement.’
- ‘A collection of black-and-white images covers a contact sheet, capturing pieces of a city's heritage on film.’
- ‘It generates a contact sheet of thumbnail images that you mark to select and then scan.’
- ‘The exhibition's greatest fascination was generated by seven contact sheets, all printed on paper as generously sized as the individual enlargements.’
- ‘And frankly, a photographer's life isn't all that cool: It's a big mess of clients, chemicals, and contact sheets.’
- ‘In panning through their slide carousels, each photographer essentially presented the audience with an edited contact sheet of his or her work.’
- ‘She looked up from the contact sheet of negatives from Gia's recent photo shoot and repeated her question.’
- ‘I got the contact sheet index print for the first roll of my Bombay photographs and am reasonably pleased with all the pictures.’
- ‘The initial idea was to look through his contact sheets - the first time anyone but Lowe had done so - with an eye for overlooked nuggets.’
- ‘Most printers that print directly from a digital camera will let you create an index sheet - the equivalent of a contact sheet in the old-fashioned film world.’
- ‘The effect was a bit like looking at a row of photos on a contact sheet.’
- ‘She projected a series of photographs along with a poorly crafted contact sheet, chemically stained, with inconsistent exposure between frames.’
- ‘The Copyright Office will accept photographs submitted on CD-ROMs, DVDs, unmounted prints, contact sheets, slides, clippings, photo copies or videotape.’
- ‘The best part of the exhibition were the contact sheets, (for those who don't know, a contact sheet is basically a print of the original negatives.)’
- ‘But I didn't discover the eyes until I printed up the contact sheet a few days later.’
- ‘Most important to me is that the viewing of thumbnails of all images in a folder, rename them individually or in batches, and generate quick contact sheets.’
- ‘The memory card reader handles all popular card types, and as with most printers incorporating this feature, you can use it to get a contact sheet of the pictures stored on a card you insert.’
- ‘Attached is a tiny photo from a contact sheet of a man in the nude.’
- ‘And the fluid black patchiness of a photographer's contact sheet, which he employs as a kind of frame, gives the images a momentary as well as a monumental air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.