Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Navigation of an aircraft by the observation of landmarks.
- ‘In this contact flying configuration, high asperities are trimmed by the burnishing pads while low asperities are not.’
- ‘Descend in accordance with contact flight rules to Los Angeles.’
- ‘He was on a mid-stage, day contact flight out of the field.’
- ‘Provided that he was sticking to contact flight rules, the pilot had a visual horizon.’
- ‘They still had some of the contact character, and I witnessed more than one example of my captain abandoning the instruments and going down to contact flying.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.