Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having or intended to have a useful or beneficial purpose.‘constructive advice’
positive, useful, of use, helpful, encouragingproductive, practical, valuable, profitable, worthwhile, effective, beneficial, advantageousView synonyms
- ‘Generally speaking, I find the critique to be constructive and useful though largely misguided.’
- ‘Gendering transport history offers a full, useful and constructive tool of analysis.’
- ‘Go to work for the day, lose yourself in something constructive, the benefits outweigh the negatives.’
- ‘The question which now must be asked of Teagasc is what constructive purpose do these reports serve.’
- ‘Suppose, further, that she attempts to use bulldozers for constructive purposes.’
- ‘Comments, advice, suggestions or constructive criticism are especially welcome.’
- ‘At the same time, impeding the efforts of soldiers at war serves no constructive purpose.’
- ‘I told him he needed to be supportive and indulge me in some positive constructive advice.’
- ‘If so, I am opening up myself to constructive criticism or helpful comments.’
- ‘Any advice and/or constructive criticism is welcome, as always.’
- ‘Oh, and thank you for all the advice, I love constructive criticism.’
- ‘Keeping a murderer in prison costs upwards of £25,000 a year which could be better used for constructive purposes.’
- ‘The trouble with such sites is that it is just as easy for someone vandalise their pages as it is for someone to add something useful or constructive.’
- ‘They must try to profit from experience and constructive advice.’
- ‘Plus she's a regular reviewer with some grand advice and constructive criticism.’
- ‘I'd like someone to come up with a van, haul them off and put them to constructive purpose.’
- ‘I think that parents should work with schools in a constructive partnership to benefit all parties.’
- ‘Authors might rate reviews as useful, creative, constructive, or crucial to their paper.’
- ‘Most of the comments here are delightfully informative, useful or otherwise constructive, and I'm happy to keep it that way!’
- ‘He said it was a useful and constructive meeting following on from the previous meeting.’
Not obvious or stated explicitly; derived by inference.‘constructive liability’
- ‘The claim to a trust is a claim to a remedial and not an institutional constructive trust and the limitation period is again 6 years.’
- ‘The fault requirement for the offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm reveals that it is an offence of constructive liability.’
- ‘Traditionally there has been a reluctance to use a driving offence as the unlawful act in constructive manslaughter.’
- ‘Further, the composition of liability as a constructive trustee is wider than a tracing order in equity.’
- ‘It should be noted that constructive manslaughter requires the commission of an unlawful act.’
Relating to, based on, or denoting mathematical proofs which show how an entity may in principle be constructed or arrived at in a finite number of steps.
- ‘His criticism was built on the fact that he believed only in constructive mathematics.’
- ‘His main work was on the constructive theory of functions and approximation theory.’
- ‘His repudiation of excluded middle flows from his constructive conception of mathematics.’
- ‘He is perhaps best known, however, as one of the founders of the constructive approach to contemporary mathematics.’
- ‘He made a good start to solving this problem for n = 2 when he found a constructive proof of a finite basis for binary forms.’
Mid 17th century (in constructive): from late Latin constructivus, from Latin construct- heap together, from the verb construere (see construct).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.