Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for constructivist (noun)
- ‘His influences range from the Russian constructionists to the Bauhaus movement, and he has been inspired by everything from scrapyards to architecture and coastlines.’
- ‘The adherents of the Bauhaus school and Russian constructionists, riding on the wave of the industrialization of the society, proclaimed the dominance of function.’
2US A person who puts a particular interpretation upon a legal document, especially the US Constitution.‘he is campaigning to get strict constructionists appointed to the Supreme Court’
- ‘Strict constructionists believe that government policy making should be left to the Executive and Legislative branches of government.’
- ‘As conservative constructionists, they would abide by the law passed by the legislature, allowing for abortion to continue.’
- ‘Will the conservative constructionists, who believe that the Founding Fathers actually were pretty clear in their intent and that that intent hasn't changed over the years, form the majority?’
- ‘He promised to nominate strict conservative constructionists to the federal bench.’
- ‘Strict constructionists lie when they claim that if a right is not in the Constitution it doesn't exist.’
- ‘Strict constructionists like the Senator might think not.’
- ‘What interests me is that Conservatives seem to accept that he fits the bill of a judge who will perform a strict reading of the Constitution, not some constructionist who will find things like a ‘right to privacy’ tucked away in the text.’
- ‘It's a little frightening to think what this decision could mean in the hands of one of those strictly Republican constructionists, isn't it?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.