Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A building site.
- ‘It takes her a little while to recognize him as the one who ran the small dozer at the construction site across the road.’
- ‘It could be a construction site as a building takes shape, or a demolition site as one is torn down.’
- ‘Trucks carrying building materials drove straight into the construction site for their loads to be winched up and used straight away.’
- ‘Police and the Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation into the incident on a construction site in Sheffield.’
- ‘More often a tranquil haven in a bustling city, the Queen's garden at Buckingham Palace now resembles a construction site.’
- ‘He lost his sight at the age of 24 in a works accident when he was hit between the eyes with an iron bar on a construction site.’
- ‘Relatives living in the shadows of the tattered construction site begged to differ however.’
- ‘It is not yet known if the man was working on the road itself or on a construction site nearby.’
- ‘So there was a rumor of these large metal tubes lying in a construction site somewhere in the Bay Area.’
- ‘It is for the construction site of the new convention center.’
- ‘The injunction permanently banning the group's presence outside the construction site was lifted for the duration of the day.’
- ‘Similar measures were taken at the student dormitories of two universities and a construction site.’
- ‘That multitask capability adds to their versatility and value on a construction site.’
- ‘Just what kind of unknown objects may be lurking underground at a former construction site?’
- ‘A construction site has not been selected yet, but work is expected to begin in 2010.’
- ‘The airport looked like a construction site from our position about half a mile away.’
- ‘I could now see the unfinished buildings of the approaching construction site.’
- ‘Only then did I realise I'd married in front of an enormous mural depicting a construction site.’
- ‘He was tired on this particular weeknight, and went to bed early after having gotten home from a long hard day on the construction site.’
- ‘Next door was a construction site and a big, noisy building was being erected.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.