Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Affected with constipation.‘regular heroin users can become constipated’
- ‘His views and attitudes were formed in naval wardrooms and are more usually representative of public opinion than the constipated gripings of his critics on the left.’
- ‘An emotionally constipated Englishman is something we're all used to, but when the hero is American you have to wonder what's wrong with the chap.’
- ‘I seem to be somewhat constipated after last night's meatloaf dinner.’
- ‘There's a constipated sense about the public space in Australia at present.’
- ‘Infants with botulism appear sluggish, feed poorly or stop eating, are constipated, have a weak cry, and poor muscle tone.’
- ‘This might happen after a very large meal, during pregnancy, if you are constipated, or when you wear tight-waisted clothes or bend forward.’
- ‘I've got pain here and in my back, I'm constipated, my nerves are acting up, my ears are clogged, and my right ankle swells and turns black.’
- ‘There are several scenes of this constipated sort.’
- ‘If your baby is bottlefed and constipated, your doctor may suggest mixing a small amount of laxative medicine into the formula.’
- ‘The ratio of powder to water has been calculated in order to give your baby the right amount of food to water, and prevent your baby becoming constipated or dehydrated.’
- ‘You mention prescription laxatives for a constipated patient.’
- ‘Which brings us back to the question of why it is that a people who are so expansive in their love of life should be so constipated when it comes to football.’
- ‘This year, all ad agencies seem to be suffering from constipated creativity.’
- ‘In a constipated infant, it may be necessary to perform colonic irrigation with limited amounts of sterile saline.’
- ‘Sometimes the piles stage a comeback after a number of years if you get constipated and do too much straining, or don't eat enough roughage.’
- ‘You may feel bloated, constipated, or depressed.’
- ‘You know what we know in bereavement that you're excreting endogenous opioids, and we know that opioids cause constipation, so we can reasonably understand that bereaved people can get constipated.’
- ‘For instance, women often don't take iron pills in pregnancy because they get constipated and assume that this is the effect of the iron.’
- ‘This release has plenty of gusto when the tracks are taken in moderation, but it's kinda hard to take the band's jarring riffing and constipated vocal delivery for an entire album.’
- ‘A constipated body can lead to a constipated mind, and makes some of us feel moody and irritable.’
- 1.1Repressed or inhibited.‘he's one of those emotionally constipated, stiff-upper-lip types’
Mid 16th century: from Latin constipat- crowded or pressed together, from the verb constipare, from con- together + stipare press, cram.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.