One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A table top supported by ornamented brackets against a wall.
- ‘Made in walnut veneer or oak and mounted on a powder-coated enamelled steel frame, this is designed to serve both as an eight-seater dining table and, by a simple twist of a clever mechanism in the table base, a console table.’
- ‘Large looking glasses were often sold en suite with console tables with matching ornamentation.’
- ‘The dominant two-tiered mantel is flanked by large round-back upholstered gondole armchairs and rectangular, mirrored console tables with animal-paw-footed monopodial front legs.’
- ‘A patterned geometric mosaic excavated from a floor in Hadrian's Villa was reused in 1742 by the designer Francesco Giardoni as the top of a handsome console table.’
- ‘She pulls herself up using the console table for support and grabs the phone.’
- ‘Placing her half empty punch glass on the console table next to the sofa, Maria rose and slipped her hand through James's outstretched arm.’
- ‘Ottomans stowed under console tables are available for extra seating.’
- ‘She was now busily arranging sherry glasses on the small console table she had put next to the conversation sofa, on which Olivia and Mr Anderson were seated, side-by-side like two parakeets on a perch.’
- ‘Pieces include an extending table, armchairs, long benches, loungers and console tables.’
- ‘The Collection has enjoyed brisk business since opening its doors, with demand for items such as mirrored console tables, leather cube tables and leather mirrors often exceeding supply.’
- ‘They were brought down to earth with a bump just days later when their shop was broken into and thieves made off with a chest of drawers, a console table and a three-tier walnut stand worth thousands of pounds.’
- ‘With a thick book (the bookmark commendably towards the end of it) as a paper-weight, her engravings, of which she was so proud, trail over a console table with its bronze grotesques.’
- ‘The throws on the bed were made from the black velvet usually used to make top hats, at €160 per metre, and the mirrored console table cost €840.’
- ‘Although now largely empty, the public rooms were originally decorated to impress, with many console tables supporting candelabra, of which the candles were reflected in the mirrors behind them.’
- ‘Pieces whose main purpose was to furnish the house, such as commodes and console tables, have seen a significant reduction in prices - so much so that now is perhaps the time to stock up on them.’
- ‘The family's celebrated villa was the focus of Rome's most important interior decoration project in the last quarter of the eighteenth century, and the console table in Plate XIII was definitely made for the Villa Borghese.’
- ‘Groups of three or five work well on a coffee or console table; pairs are appropriate for a narrow mantel.’
- ‘The console tables will be placed in the Dining Room and the seat furniture in the Tapestry Room, neither having been on public display for many years.’
- ‘Other summery touches include raffia tassels on the window shades and a tailored raffia cover on the console table.’
- ‘The top of the mirror repeats the angle of the ceiling, while the curve of the console table echoes the curve in the hearth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.