One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘They say it in a consolatory tone as if to say they wouldn't judge me if she doesn't.’
- ‘In keeping with the atmosphere of restoration which marked nearly all state-sponsored and commercial culture in the 1950s, the songs were banal and consolatory; they spoke of motherly love, bell-towers, village life, and doves.’
- ‘To understand the fate of Arcadian consolations, in particular, it is important to understand the role bucolic moments and memories had played in consolatory work during and after the Great War.’
- ‘The Virgin Mary could be tolerated for her merciful, loving, consolatory virtues if only one didn't at the same time have to buy into her passivity and sexual repressiveness.’
- ‘The effect was often consolatory, showing acceptance, or even transcendence in the face of death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.