Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An adult who willingly agrees to engage in a sexual act:‘I was the other consenting adult in the affair’‘gay sex between consenting adults will be decriminalized’
- ‘They defend prostitution as an extension of the right of consenting adults to perform whatever sexual acts they wish.’
- ‘What constitutes a marriage should be determined by contract between the consenting adults involved, not by government.’
- ‘On what legitimate basis does the government assert the authority to tell consenting adults what they may do with each other in the privacy of their own home?’
- ‘The private sexual activity between consenting adults goes to the heart of what the Constitution means in theory and in practice.’
- ‘That is, she believed the State had no place in regulating the private sexual arrangements between consenting adults.’
- ‘So they get around it in a variety of ways, such as calling it a true escort service and then if sex happens it is by mutual agreement by consenting adults.’
- ‘It is no one's business what consenting adults do in private, gay or not.’
- ‘Britain had decriminalized homosexual acts in private between consenting adults in the Sexual Offenses Act 1967.’
- ‘As a liberal, I believe that the government should not be preferring or legally privileging any relationship between consenting adults.’
- ‘If you as a consenting adult, participate in a spots event that has risks and you are injured by one of those risks, then that is something which you must take on board yourself.’
- ‘If the allegation is true, he is not hurting anyone by being involved with consenting adults and has done nothing illegal.’
- ‘Most Americans now believe that the private sexual conduct of two consenting adults is not the business of government.’
- ‘A marriage should be defined as a loving, respectful and faithful commitment between two consenting adults.’
- ‘They claim that adultery is sex between consenting adults and, so, it is a personal matter.’
- ‘A society mature enough to cope with the explicit depiction of sex between consenting adults is likely to be one comfortable with sexual diversity and women's equality.’
- ‘It's none of your business what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting adults.’
- ‘What is the basis for the criminalisation of incest between consenting adults?’
- ‘To criminalize the expression of intimacy between consenting adults, in the privacy of their homes, is malice dressed up as morality.’
- ‘It's a perfectly legitimate free market transaction between consenting adults acting in their own perceived best interests.’
- ‘No adolescent is thought to be a consenting adult in advances made by a true adult, even though his or her body may be on the way to sexual maturity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.