Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sequence of DNA having similar structure and function in different organisms.
- ‘In the aligned sequences below, nucleotides identical to the consensus sequence are indicated by periods.’
- ‘Asterisks indicate nucleotide sites in accordance with the consensus sequence of group I introns shown at the bottom.’
- ‘The consensus sequence was found on four chromosomes.’
- ‘For each gene, a consensus sequence was generated and compared to each individual sequence, excluding indels and/or missing data.’
- ‘DNA variations are shown after strain names, and dots indicate nucleotides identical to the consensus sequence.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.