Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The state of being connected or interconnected.‘the authorities worked at restoring connectivity between Puerto Rico and the US mainland after Hurricane Hugo’
- ‘The other sees connectivity as the essential factor, with movies being one of many resources that can travel along those connections.’
- ‘Mobile phones can do so much more than make a call now - the tools are there to push for connectivity in so many ways.’
- ‘Tools that recognise the vernacular role of self-writing as well as the public role of connectivity would definitely help with this.’
- ‘Now comes the biggest test of whether the rhetoric of connectivity can be marshalled into effective action.’
- ‘The immediacy and connectivity can expose great wrong; in just the same way, it can do great wrong.’
- ‘The marketing challenge is to sell you on the necessity of information via continuous connectivity.’
- ‘As a first step, Wi-Fi connectivity is being offered in 16 seats where four sets of seats will face each other.’
- ‘However, one of the essential ingredients to succeed in the global services is international air connectivity.’
- ‘There was a discussion on fostering greater regional connectivity in the field of energy.’
- ‘He said connectivity between areas via road and rail was very important.’
- ‘Ireland is at the very edge of airline connectivity in Europe and has to fight every battle that involves transportation costs.’
- ‘But observers saw many financial, political and ideological bears on that way to connectivity.’
- ‘We are also strengthening the rail and air connectivity in our country.’
- ‘The person, rather than the household or group, is the primary unit of connectivity.’
- ‘We have invested in the best possible infrastructure, latest technology and incredible connectivity.’
- ‘Currently this type of connectivity is only available close to the larger towns which leaves the remote areas isolated.’
- ‘Blogging is a transitional technology that will lead to new forms of connectivity and creativity.’
- ‘They will provide air connectivity to secondary cities and potential industrial and tourist destinations.’
- ‘In my opinion, my industry is just beginning to reap the benefits of connectivity.’
- ‘Going by their current strengths, these libraries will survive the age of seamless connectivity too.’
- 1.1Computing Capacity for the interconnection of platforms, systems, and applications.‘this allows connectivity between Sun and Mac platforms’
- ‘Techies will also love the MP3 player, Bluetooth connectivity and Java-powered games.’
- ‘It also has a video camera built into the frame of the monitor, FireWire connectivity and video editing software.’
- ‘The handset offers the usual USB, infra-red and Bluetooth connectivity.’
- ‘The Mac connectivity is good as far as Bluetooth goes, but at the moment this doesn't include iSync support.’
- ‘Broad connectivity and scalable bandwidth have made the success of the Fibre Channel protocol.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.