Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting double or triple bonds in a molecule which are separated by a single bond, across which some sharing of electrons occurs.
- ‘Fading occurs when any chemical process breaks the sequence of conjugated double bonds constituting the chromophore - the dye moiety that imparts colour.’
- ‘The conjugated double bonds of this structure allow the chlorophyll molecule to absorb energy from sunlight.’
- ‘In molecules with conjugated bonds, saturated bonds (carbon atoms with four attached atoms) alternate with unsaturated bonds (carbon atoms with less then four attached atoms.)’
- ‘Chromophores interact with light in a unique way because they contain conjugated bonds, which consist of a network of alternating double and single bonds.’
- ‘Recently we used this method to study the effect of conjugated double bonds in lipid acyl chains on phase behavior and membrane architecture of die lipids.’
(of a substance) reversibly combined with another.‘conjugated bile salts’
- ‘During the three-year trial the scientists will work with the dairy industry on modifying feeding practices to produce cow's milk with the right type and level of conjugated linoleic acid.’
- ‘A trendy nutritional supplement called CLA, for conjugated linoleic acid, may be more beneficial for animals than it is for people.’
- ‘If the conjugated antibody binds to surface proteins on healthy cells, those cells are doomed, as the conjugate will be internalized and digested in the normal fashion.’
- ‘Grass-fed burgers are high in conjugated linoleic acids, or CLA.’
- ‘This increase occurred with both conjugated chemicals and unconjugated chemicals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.