Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tree which bears cones and needle-like or scale-like leaves that are typically evergreen. Conifers are of major importance as the source of softwood, and also supply resins and turpentine.
- ‘They usually perch in the open at the very top of a conifer or snag or in a small tree.’
- ‘The hard, yellowish material is a fossil form of the sticky sap that oozes from trees such as pines and other conifers.’
- ‘Tolerant of cold winds and frost, its height makes it an ideal pot plant in a mixed bed of carpeting heathers and ground-covering conifers.’
- ‘Evergreen trees, including many conifers, support more leaf area than deciduous trees in the same environment.’
- ‘One damaged chestnut tree and five mature conifers had to be removed.’
- ‘There are scores of richly coloured evergreens and conifers too.’
- ‘It is a good time to buy and plant conifers and evergreens, summer-flowering bulbs and dahlia tubers.’
- ‘The famous giant redwood is a large evergreen conifer, whereas, in contrast, the dawn redwood is a deciduous conifer.’
- ‘Originally from China, it is one of the planet's oldest species and is a conifer despite its maidenhair fern-like leaves.’
- ‘Some dwarf conifers, such as bird's nest spruce, grow very slowly, as little as an inch per year.’
- ‘It contains narcissi and a slow-growing conifer, which will soon be too big.’
- ‘Most conifers and a few hardwoods, such as sweetgum and tuliptree, have excurrent forms.’
- ‘Gymnosperms, including conifers, gingkoes, and cycads, were very numerous, as were ferns and horsetails.’
- ‘Dogwoods and conifers were carefully planted to create a dramatic, modern Scottish garden with a pretty waterfall at the bottom.’
- ‘They do not need a wall and are happy to scramble over heathers, conifers, trees or hedges.’
- ‘Tree nests are located on the branch of a mature conifer, up to 150 feet off the ground.’
- ‘One of our neighbours has had to have the tree men round to take down a big conifer as they were worried it was going to blown down onto the road.’
- ‘Dense shade can also occur under trees with dense foliage such as Norway maples and some conifers.’
- ‘Astonishingly though, it's a conifer and is one of the oldest surviving tree species on earth.’
- ‘Juniper is one of Britain's three native species of conifer and is evergreen with short spiny leaves.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin, literally cone-bearing, from conus (see cone).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.