Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the shape of a cone.
cone-shaped, tapered, tapering, pointed, funnel-shapedpointyinfundibular, turbinate, conoidView synonyms
- ‘The gas is forced to spiral ever inwards towards the axis of the conical section with increasing tangential velocity.’
- ‘The ancestral tooth shape is conical, but there are numerous variations depending on the diet of the fish.’
- ‘Thus, unlike spherical and conical inserts the chisel insert may be directionally oriented about its center axis.’
- ‘The interface between the oil and water will change shape depending on the voltage applied across the conical structure.’
- ‘The space station has an odd shape, a donut with a conical re-entry vehicle at the center.’
- ‘The conical shape of a volcano became visible at first, its top slightly lopsided from the last time it erupted.’
- ‘The cortical area is clearly defined from the inverted conical or pyramid-shaped medulla.’
- ‘Even the conical containers and the garden seating defied gravity.’
- ‘Cut the dough in half, transfer one piece to a buttered bowl, and knead the dough to form a conical shape.’
- ‘The dorsal outline of this species is slightly convex, whereas that of our material is nearly conical.’
- ‘In these cases the whole structure has a more conical shape, with the apex down and its size expanding upwards.’
- ‘They were conical in shape, balanced on thick pillars and set in the valley of the gods' sea.’
- ‘Spherical disk blades provide better herbicide mixing than conical disk blades.’
- ‘What appeared to be a green hologram of some sort of conical machine had taken up residence in the square, and there were crowds of black and red gathered around it.’
- ‘The shape of the conical tower on the left is almost exactly the same as the shape of the view up the street.’
- ‘The four-bedroom houses have a conical shaped roof and turret shaped sitting rooms and come with a detached garage.’
- ‘In the south, conical grass huts provide warmth and safety from heavy rains and more variable climates.’
- ‘Under that long nose is a pair of conical, carbonfibre crush cones.’
- ‘Due to the double conical shape, the lower part can be placed exactly inside the upper part.’
- ‘Ice pellets are quite moderate in size and are composed of clear ice, sometimes conical in shape.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.