Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Agreement or harmony; compatibility.‘the results show quite good congruence with recent studies’
compatibility, consistency, conformity, match, balance, consonance, rapport, parallelism, congruityView synonyms
- ‘High interpersonal congruence should foster harmonious and productive interactions for at least two reasons.’
- ‘Until now America has never had an almost complete congruence between ideological and party identities.’
- ‘More momentously, geometric proofs are guided by our deep ability to see points, lines, shapes and their symmetries, similarities and congruences.’
- ‘That is, in order to be homologous, structures must satisfy the tests of similarity, congruence and conjunction.’
- ‘From coincidence, to congruence, to harmony, to synergy, the two films have to stand the new ground that they cut.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.