One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A charge made to drive into an area, typically a city centre, that suffers heavy traffic.
- ‘All were represented at the meeting, which agreed to demand that management compensate firefighters for the congestion charge.’
- ‘High parking charges applied universally have become something like a congestion charge.’
- ‘The traffic's much worse than London with the congestion charge.’
- ‘We asked people in York how they felt about the council considering a congestion charge for the city centre’
- ‘The apparent beauty of this system over the standard congestion charge is that tag charges can vary depending on the route and even the time of day.’
- ‘The idea is to limit traffic congestion by extending the idea of a congestion charge.’
- ‘The amount of revenue generated by the London congestion charge has also been called into question.’
- ‘This has largely been as a result of the introduction of more services to support the congestion charge.’
- ‘On rural roads, only a single congestion charge is likely to be feasible.’
- ‘In particular the Green Party is hoping councils will be given the power to levy a congestion charge for air traffic.’
- ‘Both bosses support the possibility of bringing in a congestion charge in the city centre.’
- ‘Why, evade the London congestion charge every day for six years and you've saved yourself the price of a brand-new urban run-about.’
- ‘It emerged yesterday that London will become the first capital city in the West to introduce a congestion charge.’
- ‘Amazingly, the richest residential area in central London doesn't have the congestion charge.’
- ‘A year on from the introduction of the congestion charge and still payment is causing confusion for drivers in London city.’
- ‘The congestion charge is a bold new traffic measure that I have been particularly interested to learn more about.’
- ‘Most York people want a nine per cent decrease in traffic and believe a congestion charge could be effective.’
- ‘But it will become less of a problem - just in time for our political masters to bring in their national congestion charge.’
- ‘That's not to mention its exemption from the London congestion charge and road tax.’
- ‘Gas-guzzling four-wheel drive cars would be charged a double congestion charge under the Liberal Democrats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.