One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A charge made to drive into an area, typically a city centre, that suffers heavy traffic.
- ‘Gas-guzzling four-wheel drive cars would be charged a double congestion charge under the Liberal Democrats.’
- ‘Both bosses support the possibility of bringing in a congestion charge in the city centre.’
- ‘Most York people want a nine per cent decrease in traffic and believe a congestion charge could be effective.’
- ‘This has largely been as a result of the introduction of more services to support the congestion charge.’
- ‘The amount of revenue generated by the London congestion charge has also been called into question.’
- ‘That's not to mention its exemption from the London congestion charge and road tax.’
- ‘In particular the Green Party is hoping councils will be given the power to levy a congestion charge for air traffic.’
- ‘The apparent beauty of this system over the standard congestion charge is that tag charges can vary depending on the route and even the time of day.’
- ‘High parking charges applied universally have become something like a congestion charge.’
- ‘The congestion charge is a bold new traffic measure that I have been particularly interested to learn more about.’
- ‘Why, evade the London congestion charge every day for six years and you've saved yourself the price of a brand-new urban run-about.’
- ‘It emerged yesterday that London will become the first capital city in the West to introduce a congestion charge.’
- ‘But it will become less of a problem - just in time for our political masters to bring in their national congestion charge.’
- ‘The traffic's much worse than London with the congestion charge.’
- ‘Amazingly, the richest residential area in central London doesn't have the congestion charge.’
- ‘A year on from the introduction of the congestion charge and still payment is causing confusion for drivers in London city.’
- ‘We asked people in York how they felt about the council considering a congestion charge for the city centre’
- ‘On rural roads, only a single congestion charge is likely to be feasible.’
- ‘The idea is to limit traffic congestion by extending the idea of a congestion charge.’
- ‘All were represented at the meeting, which agreed to demand that management compensate firefighters for the congestion charge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.