One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese cooking) broth or porridge made from rice.
- ‘I've had congee, dim sum, watercress soup, sushi, ten fishballs and a basket of seedless grapes in the past 4 hours.’
- ‘The menu features a few American dishes (eggs and ham for breakfast, BLT sandwiches) alongside a vast array of Chinese dishes (corn congee, duck lo-mein, BBQ pork, etc.).’
- ‘This can be made into a soup taken weekly or daily or cooked in rice congee (porridge).’
- ‘Cooked daikon radish with rice congee or porridge; peppermint-licorice root tea; and soy beans cooked with coriander are recommended.’
- ‘Every day, each person was given a bowl of congee and a glass of drinking water, and once a week, each was allowed a three minute shower.’
- ‘Equally at home in a Thanksgiving feast or a weeknight dinner, and wonderful in both a tangy salad with cranberries and a homey Chinese-style congee, wild rice is as versatile as it is delicious.’
- ‘She was having chicken congee and a glass of lemon tea drink.’
- ‘The cafes serve up cheap food like noodles and congee with customers sitting on plastic chairs in the open air to eat it.’
- ‘They sat down at the dining table and ate their congee.’
- ‘I then asked for jook or congee - rice porridge - and they stared blankly.’
- ‘You can see more than 10 kinds of congee on the menu, stewed with different ingredients such as solid pig's blood, sliced chicken and lean meat.’
- ‘For the congee, in a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the reserved corn stock and rice to a boil.’
- ‘In the south, many people start the day with rice porridge, or congee, served with shrimp, vegetables, and pickles.’
- ‘Indeed doughnuts are not confined to Europe - when discussing this talk with my staff we discovered Chinese doughnuts which are not very sweet and are often floated in congee - a rice porridge.’
- ‘The salt-and-pepper shrimp and the chicken-abalone congee were standouts.’
- ‘That was until we discovered congee, the soupy rice porridge which is to East and Southeast Asia what oatmeal is to Scotland.’
- ‘Morning breakfast consisted mainly of congee (a soft rice porridge) with mochi (pounded sticky rice cake).’
- ‘If you have congee for breakfast, eat it with a hot baguette-shaped, sugar-powdered doughnut.’
- ‘The congee was a pellet mixture of bean curd, yellow croaker and water chestnuts.’
- ‘Within a minute, a large basin of orange congee with a crab's shell and bits of claw peeking from under was placed on my table.’
From Tamil kañci.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.