Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of philosophical and ethical teachings founded by Confucius and developed by Mencius.
- ‘So I looked at all Eastern philosophies, Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, and I found that Buddhism has a very strong element of that.’
- ‘However, they have also been influenced by the three major religions of China: Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘His personality cult has elements of animism, Confucianism and Christianity.’
- ‘Although mainly a philosophy, Confucianism, the dominant ideology in feudal China, played practically a religious role in Chinese people's life.’
- ‘A self-guiding tour includes three chapels for the religions of Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.’
- ‘Even the vaguest promises for an after-life are withheld by Confucianism, illustrating the rigorously secular orientation of this philosophy.’
- ‘Koreans have traditionally combined elements from different belief systems, such as Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘Buddhism became one of the three major religions of China, along with Taoism and Confucianism.’
- ‘Confucianism blamed Taoist philosophy of escapism, while Taoism responded by deeming Confucianism as escapist from one's true nature.’
- ‘And that's the fundamental teaching of Confucianism, and that as I say, has had a very strong influence in Korea.’
- ‘The idea came from Buddhism rather than Confucianism, but for Confucians it implied no other-worldly quietism.’
- ‘For Chinese religions, the focus is again on unity and diversity, and on the religious nature of Confucianism.’
- ‘Nothing I understood about Confucianism had anything to do with these rituals.’
- ‘We have to substitute flexible Confucianism for orthodox Confucianism in order to cope with the rapidly changing global situation.’
- ‘They have taken their religious themes and imagery from Shamanism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism.’
- ‘In the spiritual traditions of China, Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism, practices and disciplines for refinement of the spirit are common.’
- ‘Some Confucianists asserted that Confucianism was anti-mercantile.’
- ‘We can admire the moral order of Confucianism, or the stress on harmony with nature in Taoism, or the resignation of the Stoics, and wonder about progress.’
- ‘There the number of converts from Confucianism and other Eastern religions to Christianity is growing rapidly, he explained.’
- ‘Most Vietnamese practice the mutually compatible religions of Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.