Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a way that is intended to be private or secret; privately.‘all queries will be treated confidentially’
privately, in private, in confidence, between ourselves, between themselves, between yourselves, off the record, quietly, secretly, in secret, behind closed doors, in camerasub rosaprivilyView synonyms
- ‘And I went to him personally and said, look, can I talk about anything we might have discussed confidentially?’
- ‘All responses will be treated confidentially.’
- ‘‘I like ice hockey because it's fast,’ he adds, confidentially.’
- ‘Public servants should be able to communicate freely and confidentially with a minister and staff on controversial issues with ongoing sensitivity in the portfolio.’
- ‘‘This year is going to be a good one,’ she said confidentially.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.