One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Finely powdered sugar used for making icing; icing sugar.
- ‘In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 pound confectioner's sugar with 3 egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar.’
- ‘Their capsicums or bell peppers are merely our sweet peppers, scallions are our spring onions, shrimps are our prawns, and confectioner's sugar is our icing sugar.’
- ‘Prepare the glaze: put the confectioner's sugar in a small bowl, and pour in some lemon juice, a little at a time, whisking until the glaze gets to the right consistency, thick and syrupy.’
- ‘Homemade marshmallows are dusted with confectioner's sugar and cut in squares.’
- ‘Sieve confectioner's sugar all over the surface.’
- ‘Those crispy little cookies, pink and rectangular with a dusting of confectioner's sugar, are a specialty from Reims, the largest city in the region of Champagne.’
- ‘The fondness of the British for this substance is illustrated by the fact that confectioner's sugar, a fine white powder, is known as icing sugar in Britain.’
- ‘Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving, warm, at room temperature or cold.’
- ‘Dust the top with confectioner's sugar if desired - and if it's not meant to be a birthday cake!’
- ‘The ingredients are simple: butter, sour cream, baking soda, flour, sea salt, sugar, almond paste, 4 egg yolks, almond extract and confectioner's sugar for dusting.’
- ‘‘This cake is so moist and delectable that a dusting of confectioner's sugar is all you need to top it,’ he says.’
- ‘For dessert we had the orange zagora, a simple little treat, but tasty: orange slices powdered with cinnamon and confectioner's sugar.’
- ‘Sift confectioner's sugar over the top of the cake and serve warm.’
- ‘The top-right corner of the plate had been dusted with confectioner's sugar in a rectangular pattern, and caramel sauce had been deposited in a line of dots of increasing size, parallel to the cake.’
- ‘Pour about two tablespoons of confectioner's sugar in a small bowl.’
- ‘Place a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in the center of each plate, surround with the warm gnocchi and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.