Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rounded protuberance at the end of some bones, forming an articulation with another bone.
- ‘What you are feeling is the condyle of the lower jaw.’
- ‘It presents medially a circular ‘articular surface of the head,’ directed anteroproximad and articulating with the lateral condyle of the tibia.’
- ‘It is in its most superficial position as it passes over the medial condyles of the tibia and femur.’
- ‘It extends to the posterior part of the medial surface of the lateral condyle of the femur.’
- ‘No patient had articular cartilage injuries of both femoral condyles.’
- ‘Although we understand many of these cues during natural development, we need to learn how to utilize them to tissue engineer mandibular condyles.’
- ‘No significant difference in total mean chondrocyte density between trochlear, patellar, tibial, and femoral condyles was observed.’
- ‘However, the position of the patella is controlled primarily by the geometry of the femoral trochlea, the femoral condyles, and the posterior surface of the patella.’
- ‘The shank markers were carefully placed in line with the lateral malleoli and lateral condyles at the point of greatest curvature of the lower legs.’
- ‘The lateral head arises from the lateral surface of the lateral condyle of the femur, proximal and posterior to the lateral epicondyle.’
- ‘The pin was inserted on the medial condyle at a point halfway between the articular surface and the medial epicondyle and was aimed toward the tibial insertion.’
- ‘The toothed margin is nearly straight, with the articular condyle at about the same level as the tooth row.’
- ‘The lower end of the femur articulates, through two condyles, with the top of the tibia, which is shaped rather like a plateau.’
- ‘Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.’
- ‘When fully flexed, the posterior condyles of both the femur and tibia are in contact.’
- ‘Some of the tendinous fibers of vastus lateralis and vastus medialis run on each side of the patella to the tibial condyles.’
- ‘The dentary was scaled so that the condyle articulated with the glenoid fossa and the lower caniniform occluded with the diastema between the upper first tooth and caniniform.’
- ‘Radiographs of the right knee demonstrated a bony fragment in the medial condyle of the femur.’
- ‘Note that the sartorius muscle has become a thin band as it crosses over and behind the medial condyle of the femur.’
- ‘Stability of the knee depends on the shape of the condyles and menisci in combination with ligamentous and muscular structures.’
Mid 17th century: from French, from Latin condylus, from Greek kondulos ‘knuckle’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.