One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rail transmitting current to an electric train or other vehicle.
- ‘If power is ON, do not touch the conductor rail, nor anything lying across it, nor a train standing on it.’
- ‘After the conductor rail installation has been completed, a final, visual inspection of the entire system should be conducted.’
- ‘Both conductor rails are electrically joined by means of a flexible cable or another suitable device.’
- ‘Unfortunately BR and NR experience with composite conductor rails has been less than happy.’
- ‘On London Underground, the tracks are made up of two running rails and two conductor rails which carry the electricity supply.’
- ‘Lower the drawer back onto its conductor rails and pull it forward and outward.’
- ‘The reason for two conductor rails was to minimise electrolysis, as Patrick already noted above.’
- ‘A new standard maintenance procedure was also released weeks after the incident in 2003, prohibiting work to repair or replace conductor rail insulator pots on live lines.’
- ‘Open conductor rail lines with copper head steel conductor bars are reliable, maintenance free and durable.’
- ‘In the background are the conductor rail of the northbound track, and one running rail very close to it.’
- ‘The goods in issue are conductor rails and were imported on various dates during 2000.’
- ‘Rubber tyres also run against the side contact conductor rails to guide the train on its track.’
- ‘Four tracks of the maintenance hall have been equipped with a movable conductor rail by Furrer + Frey for safe and unhindered access to the vehicles’ roofs.’
- ‘Click on the above for other options relating to this Arrangement used to fix conductor rails for multi-phase switchgears patent application.’
- ‘Therefore, the slope of the conductor rail ramps is 1: 50 at normal tracks and min. 1: 20 in the depot area where the speed is reduced.’
- ‘In this context, the current conductor rails are disposed opposite to the clamping face.’
- ‘Magnetic coil consists of aluminum conductor rails on the diaphragm resulting in optimal motion-to-mass ratio’
- ‘The cradle can be bent to the correct shape by using a simple jig, and the conductor rail clips into the cradle.’
- ‘In all it took me about 16 hours painstaking but tedious work to lay 24 feet of conductor rail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.