Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having the property of conducting something (especially heat or electricity)‘a conductive material’
- ‘For internally heated salt baths, natural gas flame torches having a moderate flame are effective in melting a pool of molten salt for a conductive path between electrodes.’
- ‘Imagine that conductive electrodes are then attached to the surfaces and connected through an ammeter having a low internal resistance.’
- ‘Liquid crystal display device with transparent conductive film between pixel electrodes and signal or scanning lines’
- ‘Still, the current density accommodated by conductive adhesives fell short of what's needed to support power-hungry devices like processors.’
- ‘The recess is filled with an electrically conductive material.’
- ‘Under most circumstances, the matter in stars is so highly electrically conductive that magnetic fields can survive for millions or billions of years.’
- ‘A first layer of insulating material is formed on the first layer of the electrically conductive material.’
- ‘The thick film conductive bonding material forms a conductive pad at each bonding location.’
- ‘Resistance soldering can be applied to electrically conductive materials that allow the passage of electric current.’
- ‘A conductive gate electrode is formed over a second dielectric layer overlying the channel region.’
- ‘A displacement material is deposited over the recessed conductive material.’
- ‘The part uses a thermally conductive polycarbonate to draw heat away from the controller and dissipate it into the surrounding air.’
- ‘In their collaborative project, Bennett designs the molecules and Tysoe studies the nature of surface interactions and their conductive properties.’
- ‘The conductive sections work as heat conductive channels between the wiring board and the semiconductor device.’
- ‘A return electrode is positioned in electrical contact with the second electrically conductive fluid.’
- ‘Despite concerns about the use of conductive irrigation solutions with electrosurgical devices, saline is the most common irrigant used.’
- ‘Further, the pixel electrode overlaps the transparent conductive film for the common electrode to form a storage capacitor.’
- ‘Most people are familiar with electrically conductive and non-conductive materials.’
- ‘The bottom layer of the molecular electronic device is transparent glass coated with a conductive material.’
- ‘The company's electrically conductive adhesive can bond electrical components that could be damaged by a hot solder.’
- 1.1Relating to conduction.‘conductive hearing impairment’
- ‘The use of additives ensures that conductive properties are present throughout the entire part and do not wear off with use.’
- ‘In an emergency in the cold, conductive heat loss may be forgotten, with the casualty being well covered with blankets but continuing to lie with nothing between him and the ground.’
- ‘The testing involves a model of a human head filled with a liquid designed to have similar conductive properties to the brain.’
- ‘Makers of electric components will want to know the dielectric or conductive properties of their thin films.’
- ‘The simulation of conductive hearing impairment by occluding the ear with a finger suggested by Weatherall is the basis of the Bing test.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.