One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A delocalized band of energy levels in a crystalline solid which is partly filled with electrons. These electrons have great mobility and are responsible for electrical conductivity.
- ‘The electrons in the conduction band of this metal have no restrictions in their movement.’
- ‘In semiconductors there is a band gap - an energy barrier that electrons must overcome to reach the conduction band.’
- ‘Both of those methods impart energy to the electrons, causing them to break from their bonds and jump into the conduction band.’
- ‘Insulators may be thought of as semiconductors with very large gaps between the valence and conduction bands.’
- ‘The laser light lifts electrons from the valence band into the conduction band, where they travel freely when a voltage is applied to the semiconductor.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.