Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A delocalized band of energy levels in a crystalline solid which is partly filled with electrons. These electrons have great mobility and are responsible for electrical conductivity.
- ‘Both of those methods impart energy to the electrons, causing them to break from their bonds and jump into the conduction band.’
- ‘Insulators may be thought of as semiconductors with very large gaps between the valence and conduction bands.’
- ‘In semiconductors there is a band gap - an energy barrier that electrons must overcome to reach the conduction band.’
- ‘The laser light lifts electrons from the valence band into the conduction band, where they travel freely when a voltage is applied to the semiconductor.’
- ‘The electrons in the conduction band of this metal have no restrictions in their movement.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.