One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attitude of patronizing superiority; disdain.‘a tone of condescension’‘I'm treated with condescension’
superciliousness, superiority, scorn, disdain, loftiness, airs, lordliness, haughtiness, imperiousness, snobbishness, snobberyView synonyms
- ‘It's like being called a eunuch or an old maid; one always hears that faint sneer of disdain and condescension mixed with pity.’
- ‘There's a lot you could say about this remark - its arrogance, its condescension.’
- ‘The bombast, condescension, arrogance and swagger all seems slightly silly in retrospect.’
- ‘Watching it, I found myself quietly appalled by the smugness, condescension and bogus rhetoric on display.’
- ‘He knows Tom is not one of their breed and treats him with the condescension and snobbery that his privileged class affords him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.