One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘No other writer I know mines the mother lode of what is condescendingly called ‘everyday life’ with such consistently surprising results.’
- ‘When asked condescendingly by Mayer how many cameras he has now Hughes replies bluntly, ‘Twenty-four.’’
- ‘‘I'm so sorry I had to turn down that job ’, they'll whisper condescendingly, ‘but it was lovely of you to offer it to me’.’
- ‘And then there is the current reprehensible practice of offering only two minutes of news throughout the day, with five minutes condescendingly given at certain selected times.’
- ‘‘They come from parts of the country where jobs are hard to find,’ an acquaintance condescendingly excuses the enlistees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.