One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cement mixer.
- ‘The company said it is sending eight truck trailers to the military, filled with 100,000 tools and materials, including shovels, table saws, concrete mixers, safety scaffolding, power generators, light bulbs and jackhammers.’
- ‘The devices have not been used on cranes and concrete mixers because white smoke was emitted during testing certain kinds of converters.’
- ‘This was the idea that when the government spent money on, say, Hoover Dam, that money turned into concrete mixers and executive salaries that rapidly turned into luxury yachts.’
- ‘In an office cocooned from the smell of fresh paint and the sounds of a concrete mixer, the general manager of Perth Racecourse is putting the finishing touches to a letter.’
- ‘The forthcoming building material supplies and concrete mixers will begin to pour in and block Durnsford Road about 80m from the traffic lights.’
- ‘On the way to the City from Jnanabharti junction, concrete mixers are left on the roadside, making the already narrow road narrower.’
- ‘Paddy went to England as a seventeen-year-old in 1947 the year of the big snow and his first job was on a building site feeding the concrete mixer which he described as backbreaking work.’
- ‘The building work on our house is well on the way - the builders have been with us for six weeks - and the back garden is drowning under a sea of wheelbarrows, bricks, planks and a concrete mixer.’
- ‘I'll have to see what Graham thinks in the morning; he was working on the lines of renting a concrete mixer and doing the job the old-fashioned way but I reckon ready-mix is a much more civilised solution.’
- ‘With this ability to make rapid changes, this saw him going to Germany to meet with the famous ZF Gearbox Company and import their new gearbox technology into NZ to use on the concrete mixers there.’
- ‘The oxidized and broken ore contained a high percentage of clay minerals that made it very sticky and hard to handle, but the concrete mixer worked like a dream.’
- ‘Also available at the stores would be concrete mixers, generators, power washers, strimmers, hedge trimmers and Castlegarden ride-on lawnmowers.’
- ‘In 1998, Bohn finally shelled out $217.6 million for the Dodge Center (Minn.) based manufacturer of concrete mixers and garbage-truck bodies.’
- ‘The manufacture of dragées is carried out using heated rotating pans, shaped a little like concrete mixers, in which a batch of almonds (for example) is tumbled.’
- ‘Berlin is pocked with meaningful erections that make the cranes and concrete mixers look aesthetic.’
- ‘The shower leaks water all over the bathroom floor when you use it, and the front garden is currently playing host to a tractor/digger and a concrete mixer.’
- ‘As Lord Lloyd explained: If a man hires a concrete mixer, he must pay the daily hire, even though he may not in the event have been able to use the mixer because of rain.’
- ‘Further down the line, chicken, salmon, and shrimp are being coated in one of 80 different marinades - inside what look like concrete mixers, which tumble the meat for 45 minutes, 800 pounds at a time.’
- ‘It is put on the rear of heavy-duty trucks like dump trucks and concrete mixers to increase payloads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.