Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who acts as a mediator between two disputing people or groups.‘he was seen as a conciliator, who would heal divisions in the party’
peacemaker, mediator, negotiator, go-between, middleman, intermediary, moderator, broker, honest broker, intervenor, interceder, intercessor, reconciler, pacifier, appeaserdoveView synonyms
- ‘I think Powell is a better mediator, conciliator.’
- ‘First, the PCC prefers to act as a conciliator rather than a judge.’
- ‘In Victoria, the battle pitted Turner, the working-class warrior, versus Beresford, the middle-class conciliator.’
- ‘It was a request for the adjudicator to take on another role, as conciliator or mediator to help the parties reach a settlement.’
- ‘They stressed that women are natural mediators and conciliators and, indeed, they must play that role because armed conflicts now impact women the most.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.