One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scientific study or collection of mollusc shells.
- ‘A recent post at A Snails's Eye View was about the conchology book Edgar Allan Poe wrote, or rather plagiarized.’
- ‘interests are in all things molluscan, ie: shell collecting (recent and fossil), conchology and malacology (study of shells and shellfish), and molluscan ecology and conservation.’
- ‘The beginnings of shell collecting and its scientific study, conchology, are not very far removed from that beach-combing experience: a beautiful object washed up on a beach was taken and admired.’
- ‘Conchology and Malacology are the study of the Mollusca.’
- ‘Author of dozens of books on conchology, Senior Advisor, Founding Director, and finally Museum Director of the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum, Abbott brought the world of conchology to the public.’
Late 18th century: from Greek konkhē ‘shell’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.