One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A conscientious objector.‘they were all conchies and socialists and they kept on about negotiating an end to the war’
- ‘In that period, there was huge public hostility to the conchies (conscientious objectors), who had refused to fight.’
- ‘Any book about conchies is likely to contain some diverting tales.’
- ‘That the "conchies" suffered ridicule and injustice cannot be denied.’
- ‘"Conchies" already employed by the government have been denied promotion.’
- ‘A few years ago, the historian Andrew Roberts earned my undying contempt by alleging, on live national radio, that I was the ‘kind of person who'd have been a conchie’ in the Second World War.’
First World War: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.