One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The leading first-violin player in some orchestras.
- ‘In conductor-led orchestras, the concertmaster is usually more of a team captain.’
- ‘However, I saw William Preucil, as concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra, do a Mozart violin solo and had to pick my jaw up off the ground.’
- ‘Ellen de Pasquale served as concertmaster for both concerts.’
- ‘Four members of the orchestra's violin section (led by concertmasters Laszlo Pap and Lenka Hajkova) gave a brilliant traversal of the Concerto No 10 in B minor from Vivaldi's L' Estro Armonico, RV580.’
- ‘Smith, almost blind, sat down and memorised the piano part; he was joined by the cellist Moray Welsh and James Clark, concertmaster of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.’
- ‘The concertmaster (whoever it was) and solo bassoonist are simply fantastic.’
- ‘Should I take a safe job as a concertmaster of an orchestra?’
- ‘The Palm Beach Opera Orchestra (led by former Cincinnati Symphony concertmaster Eliot Chapo) played splendidly with particularly incisive strings and brilliant brass.’
- ‘The concertmaster played a note on his violin and Lev tuned his instrument to it.’
- ‘Glenn Basham is associate professor of violin at the University of Miami, first violinist with the Bergonzi String Quartet and concertmaster of the Naples Philharmonic.’
- ‘In the second movement, concertmaster Christopher Warren-Green's realization of the scordatura violin writing is chillingly compelling.’
- ‘While in London, she served as concertmaster of the Royal Academy Chamber Orchestra.’
- ‘For these concerts, the guest concertmaster is Michael Ludwig, associate concertmaster of the Philadelphia Orchestra.’
- ‘Unfortunately, its excellent concertmaster and first violinist, Guillermo Figueroa, may be leaving, so the season became one long audition of violin soloists.’
- ‘Without a doubt the star of this year's festival is acclaimed violinist and Israel Philharmonic Orchestra concertmaster Ilya Konovalov.’
- ‘At the age of 25 he was teaching at the Vienna Academy, and five years later, he was named concertmaster of the Vienna Philharmonic.’
- ‘Kleiber disliked making records and grumbled when the Vienna Philharmonic changed concertmasters from one session to the next, but the spring in his overture was inspirational.’
- ‘For example, the opening violin solo (the concertmaster I assume) puts Strauss' voiceprint on it immediately.’
- ‘One of his concertmasters, William Preucil was lured away by the Cleveland Orchestra.’
- ‘Among his disciples are the well-known cello teacher George Neikrug and the late violist, William Primrose and among his students were concertmasters of major orchestras, including Joseph Silverstein.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.