One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of music in the style of an overture but intended for independent performance.
- ‘Following Mitchell's announcement is an excerpt from a familiar and appropriate work: Elgar's concert overture, ‘Cockaigne (In London Town) ‘, op. 40, although it crashes in rather abruptly.’’
- ‘The first performance of a violin concerto is a much-anticipated event - probably because so few are composed compared to other orchestral works such as concert overtures, suites and symphonies.’
- ‘The concert overture I Høst, which followed two years later, was not much more successful.’
- ‘But in his last two decades he began writing successful film scores, operas, symphonies and a series of concert overtures illustrating formative events from American history.’
- ‘In a symphonic poem or a concert overture with a title or a programme, it is the latter that specifies the locus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.