Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of music in the style of an overture but intended for independent performance.
- ‘The concert overture I Høst, which followed two years later, was not much more successful.’
- ‘The first performance of a violin concerto is a much-anticipated event - probably because so few are composed compared to other orchestral works such as concert overtures, suites and symphonies.’
- ‘In a symphonic poem or a concert overture with a title or a programme, it is the latter that specifies the locus.’
- ‘Following Mitchell's announcement is an excerpt from a familiar and appropriate work: Elgar's concert overture, ‘Cockaigne (In London Town) ‘, op. 40, although it crashes in rather abruptly.’’
- ‘But in his last two decades he began writing successful film scores, operas, symphonies and a series of concert overtures illustrating formative events from American history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.