Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large public building designed for the performance of concerts.
- ‘The earliest room in London designed as a public concert hall was in York Buildings, off the Strand.’
- ‘Within the building a concert hall can also be found where many performances occurred for various socialites.’
- ‘He is now one of the world's most respected conductors in the concert hall and in the opera house.’
- ‘The reviewer said this CD's sound captured a concert hall acoustic rather than studio and I agree.’
- ‘The early months of 1931 were to be intensely busy ones for the young composer in the concert hall.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.