One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest size of grand piano, up to 2.75 m long, used for concerts.
- ‘The pianist's clipped articulation does suggest a fortepiano more than a modern concert grand, but interpretively, Kovacevich presents Beethoven as a nose-thumber out to turn things on their ears.’
- ‘At a particularly dramatic moment, I accidentally smashed one of the concert grand's lowest strings into smithereens, and the instrument lifted six inches into the air and bounced alarmingly on the stage.’
- ‘The piano, a Yamaha concert grand, was purchased jointly five years ago by Musica Viva Lismore and Lismore City Council.’
- ‘The Bechstein concert grand was the centerpiece of this year's performance.’
- ‘Classically trained Amos plays her personal 9-foot Bosendorfer concert grand with its lid open on the tall stick.’
- ‘This year the arrival of the new concert grand piano makes the programme even more appealing.’
- ‘Hamlisch's concert shows are extraordinarily simple: Just him and his concert grand on the stage with limited use of special lighting - and no gimmicks.’
- ‘I remember a dim, pea-green room with, at one end, a concert grand on a low wooden dais: an obsidian shrine, illuminated by track lights hung from the ceiling.’
- ‘Charlie was quick to recognize Adam's signature nine-foot Steinway concert grand piano on center stage.’
- ‘A piece from the adored Manenberg song came up, but like all the songs that he had been stroking on the concert grand, it faded quickly underneath another brilliant tune.’
- ‘A concert pianist who is sitting down at the concert grand piano in Carnegie Hall in front of a packed house is the equivalent to an author publishing a finished book.’
- ‘In the back parlor there are just one small sofa, two chairs, a scattering of occasional tables and an old Chickering concert grand from a ballroom downtown.’
- ‘It will be the second time Dr Hamilton has played at the college to raise funds towards its new 7ft 4in concert grand, which arrived on Saturday.’
- ‘On the stage, she saw three beautiful concert grand pianos.’
- ‘This is a New York Steinway concert grand, just like the one they have at Winspear, but each piano has its own personality.’
- ‘These days playing Bach on the modern concert grand is perfectly acceptable; maybe it's time we added a few earlier composers to the list?’
- ‘They are full sized concert grand pianos destined to be played by the world's greatest and in some of its most famous halls.’
- ‘The second half of the concert was performed upon a modern Yamaha concert grand.’
- ‘It is a re-creation of a historic Steinway concert grand piano that was first exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1939.’
- ‘Today's modern concert grand is a wonderful instrument for the tonal music of 1800's Vienna.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.