Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The embryo in the uterus, especially during the early stages of pregnancy.
- ‘From the e18 conceptuses, brain, liver, and the placenta were dissected for methylation analysis.’
- ‘The conceptus, like the infant, the child, and the adolescent, is a being who is in the process of unfolding its potential; that is, the potential to grow and develop itself but not to change what it is.’
- ‘One or more intramuscular injections of the medication usually cause resorption or spontaneous tubal abortion of the ectopic conceptus.’
- ‘Thus the difference in susceptibility to RDS in premature singletons and multiples may depend on the size of the conceptus.’
- ‘However, the error rate in a genetically modified or cloned conceptus is potentially so high that such applications should never be approved by any science ethics committee.’
- ‘But we do not suppose that this nature and plan by themselves account for the later development of the zygote and conceptus.’
- ‘Temporary heat stress near the time of estrus and ovulation can reduce oocyte quality by altering meiotic processes, directly affecting conceptus quality and survival.’
- ‘IUD insertion or mifepristone administration following ovulation may cause endometrial changes that could impede implantation of the conceptus in the endometrium.’
- ‘The medical induction yielded intact products of conception in 122 cases, whereas 31 cases had to be completed by curettage, as the expulsion of the conceptus was incomplete.’
- ‘It is estimated that between 60 and 80% of all conceptuses are lost early in gestation.’
- ‘More pointedly, personal reality is not to be confused with ‘the presence of certain activities’ (either in the conceptus or the adult).’
- ‘And indeed biologists tend to talk about the embryo before that, as a conceptus or a pre-embryo.’
- ‘Thus, it is argued that pregnancy only comes within the law relating to abortion upon the implantation of the conceptus in the womb, not at the point of fertilization.’
- ‘It has been estimated that at least 50% of human conceptuses are aneuploid, although the vast majority are lost by miscarriage.’
- ‘In the present study, haemorrhage of the conceptus is observed in LPS-induced pregnancy failure, indicating an increased permeability of the placental capillaries.’
- ‘Indeed it will be several weeks before a nervous system develops that could allow the developing conceptus to feel pain or be aware.’
- ‘In the pregnant cow, the conceptus (embryo and associated membranes) must inhibit the release of uterine PGF 2alpha so that the corpus luteum continues to secrete progesterone and pregnancy can be established.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin, conception, embryo, from concept- conceived, from the verb concipere.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.