Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The action of mathematical calculation:‘methods of computation’[count noun] ‘statistical computations’
arithmetical problem, problem, calculation, reckoning, tally, questionView synonyms
- ‘If we can have exact numerical computation, why would anyone choose approximate arithmetic?’
- ‘It was there that he developed the proof which states that automatic computation cannot solve all mathematical problems.’
- ‘He obtained the highest level in the civil-service examination having been educated in astronomy and calendar computation.’
- ‘He has a natural aptitude for computation and is very quick at figure work.’
- ‘The computation of logarithms had made him aware of the inaccuracy of human calculation around 1812.’
- ‘The method was applied to find the orbit of Swift's comet of 1880 and involved less computation than Gauss's method.’
- ‘What is the difference between mathematics and computation?’
- ‘He considered computation with irrational numbers and polynomials to be part of algebra.’
- ‘The new system has the virtue of a lowered rate of tax, a simple method of computation, and an equitable spread.’
- ‘Continuity is the mathematics of calculus and physics but there's never been a theory of computation that deals with this continuum.’
- ‘I checked every computation, retraced every step, and reinvented every wheel.’
- ‘The text recognizes the essential role that computation plays in both mathematics and biology.’
- ‘In fact Bowditch loved to carry out complex mathematical computations and the task of checking and correcting Moore's work was one he greatly enjoyed.’
- ‘The theory of computation appears in the most unexpected places.’
- ‘A short article cannot possibly describe the many fascinating aspects of quantum computation.’
- ‘One example of such emergent, distributed computation is the density classification task.’
- ‘He also wrote Golasara which is written in fifty-six Sanskrit verses and shows how mathematical computations are used to calculate astronomical data.’
- ‘I devote a lot of my time to thinking about the relationship between mathematics and computation.’
- ‘Modern proof theory, and likewise the modern theory of machine computation, hinge on the concept of the recursive function.’
- ‘This alleviates the expensive computation of exponential functions involved in the distributions.’
2The use of computers, especially as a subject of research or study.
Late Middle English: from Latin computatio(n-), from the verb computare (see compute).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.