One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Air that is at more than atmospheric pressure.
- ‘If more people knew that compressed air is solar energy, we would all be driving air cars now.’
- ‘Here the water is atomised using high-pressure compressed air.’
- ‘Microjets can be powered by compressed air, thermal bubbles, and even acoustic waves.’
- ‘I still say that his definition of compressed air as ‘solar power’ is quite wrong.’
- ‘The root/soil system was pressurized with compressed air.’
- ‘They treated the experimental tanks with varying concentrations of ozone or with compressed air containing little ozone.’
- ‘He asked them how they bought their energy and compressed air.’
- ‘The pressure inside the hyperbaric chamber was achieved by compressed air.’
- ‘When the sensor is triggered, compressed air rapidly fills the air bags before the user hits the ground and reduces or prevents injury.’
- ‘In this way, the universe cools as it expands, much as compressed air in a scuba tank cools when it is released and allowed to expand.’
- ‘Now with all the new plastics, even with thin wispy smoke you need compressed air breathing apparatus.’
- ‘There was also a compressor with compressed air, so the firefighters were kept well back from the flames.’
- ‘Explaining the process, the statement said compressed air pulses generated behind the vessel send sound waves deep into the earth.’
- ‘A confined jet of compressed air pressurizes the inspiratory airflow.’
- ‘However, understanding what happens to your body when you go under water and breathe compressed air can be essential to your future well-being.’
- ‘As he did so a miniature grappling hook, powered by compressed air cylinders, launched itself into the air.’
- ‘The compressed air initiates the missile's gyroscopes and is used as the coolant for the infrared detectors.’
- ‘A sea lion cruised by me as I breathed compressed air ten metres under the surface of the sea near Victoria.’
- ‘It could take small samples in glass containers, balance them on a cushion of air, and send jets of compressed air that touched the outer surface.’
- ‘When a measurement was to be made, the two halves were closed simultaneously by two pumps operated by compressed air and magnetic valves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.