One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Musical rhythm or metre in which each beat in a bar is subdivided into three smaller units, so having the value of a dotted note.Compare with simple time
- ‘The irregular division of compound time is rare and notational ‘conventions’ are fluid.’
- ‘Unlike simple time signatures, compound time signatures do not directly show us the number of beats per bar.’
- ‘To determine the number of beats per measure in compound time, divide the time signature's upper number by 3.’
- ‘Dotted minims and dotted crotchets, foreign to simple time, are perfectly at home in compound time.’
- ‘The following example demonstrate the values of the notes in both simple and compound time signatures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.